Early Music Concerts 2012-2013: (UK) Chapelle du Roi Concert: "New Lamps for Old -- Christmas with Chapelle du Roi" (7 Dec 2012)
Location: St.John’s, Smith Square, London SW1P 3HA
“Christmas has inspired composers for more than five hundred years. The legacy of English composers is rich and varied.
In recent years a ‘Second English Renaissance’ has seen contemporary composers taking inspiration from plainchant, secular carols and polyphonic masterworks of the sixteenth century. Chapelle du Roi explores the links between works by Tallis, Shappard, Palestrina and Guerrero & contemporary English composers including Robert Hugill, Daniel Burges, Nicholas O.Neill, David Braid, Anthony Mudge, Antony Pitts and Roxanna Panufnik. The result is a balance of sumptuous textures and harmonies and contrasting approaches to the great Christmas texts. …
- Puer Natus Est Nobis (Hugill & Tallis)
- Coventry Carol (Burges & Trad.)
- Alma Redemptoris (world premiere performances of settings by Roxanna Panufnik and David
Braid with Victoria and Guerrero)
- O Magnum Mysterium (Mudge & Palestrina)
- Nunc Dimittis (Tallis & O’Neill)
- Regis Tharsis (Sheppard) & O Holy of Holies (Pitts)
Visit the Chapelle du Roi website for more information and of ticket availability.