Conferences 2012: (UK) Perspectives on Musical Improvisation (10-13 sep 2012) - Registration open
Location: University of Oxford, UK
“The conference brings together a rich set of perspectives on musical improvisation with papers approaching the subject from musicological, cognitive, psycho-social, philosophical, anthropological and pedagogical lenses representing a range of improvisatory genres. In addition to papers, there will be practical workshops and performances; we are also delighted to welcome a number of eminent scholars to the conference - two invited speakers and three panel members:
- Professor Thierry Escaich, Professor of Composition and Performance, Paris Conservatoire
- Professor Ingrid Monson, Quincy Jones Professor of African-American Music, Harvard University
- Professor Lydia Goehr, Professor of Philosophy, Columbia University
- Professor Garry Hagberg, James H. Ottaway Jr. Professor of Aesthetics and Philosophy, Bard College
- Professor George Lewis (discussion respondent), Edwin H. Case Professor of American Music, Columbia University
The conference website is live at http://www.music.ox.ac.uk/pomi/ and provides full information about the conference, how to register and book your accommodation ( the registration and accommodation pages both link to the conference online booking system), and travel. We advise delegates to pay registration fees and accommodation in one booking - this is simpler than doing this separately. Further, we would encourage you to book your Christ Church conference accommodation sooner rather than later as their full board rates are very reasonable and it can be difficult to find accommodation in Oxford during September. Note that
- Discounted registration is available until 1st June at which point registration is charged at the full price.
- A draft programme for the conference will be available for download from the website from May 16th.
- We have limited discounted places for students attending the conference.
For further information about registration or accommodation, contact the Conference Administrator, Emily Payne: email@example.com. For any enquiries about presentations etc, contact Mark Doffman: firstname.lastname@example.org“