“The Warsaw Chamber Opera was founded in 1961 by Stefan Sutkowski, who has served as its Managing and Artistic Director ever since. The company’s inaugural production was G.B.Pergolesi’s La serva padrona (4 September 1961).
Since October 15th 1986 the Warsaw Chamber Opera has performed in its own Theatre at Solidarnosci Avenue 76 B. It is an ancient building from 1775 having a small lovely audience with excellent acoustic. This building is entered in the register of historical monuments of Warsaw.
At present, the Warsaw Chamber Opera company consists of 2 directors, 2 designers, 7 conductors, over 75 soloists, and 2 small-size symphony orchestras (the Warsaw Sinfonietta and the Orchestra of Warsaw Chamber Opera). It also has the period-instruments ensemble Musicae Antiquae Collegium Varsoviense, a Mime Group and the 40-strong Chamber Choir. ..
he music of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart has long occupied a prominent place in the company’s repertoire. A series of successful productions encouraged the decision to mark the 200th anniversary of the composer’s death with the 1st Mozart Festival (15 June – 26 July 1991). Its programme included all of Mozart’s stage works (26 productions). The Mozart Festival has been organised on an annual basis since then. Every edition of the event (15 June – 26 July) comprises Mozart complete stage output and a selection of his chamber, symphonic, and vocal-instrumental works. The Warsaw Chamber Opera is the only company in the world to have Mozart’s entire operatic output in its permanent repertoire. Small wonder that this unprecedented achievement won the Warsaw’s company wide international recognition. ..“
Visit website for more information. (ed.)
Added on: May 14, 2010 | Hits: 678