Early Music Concerts 2009-2010: (US) Ellen Hargis: Finding Treasure and Lute in Early Music (10-12 Sept. 2010)
Soprano Ellen Hargis will give three recitals with lutenist Paul O’Dette for the San Francisco Early Music Society in Palo Alto, Berkeley, and San Francisco on Sept. 10, 11, and 12. The program, titled “Wait! I’m Singing Now…,” will feature music of Strozzi, Kapsberger, Scarlatti, Cesti, and Piccinini. SFCV asked Hargis about her love of early music, the challenges of balancing singing and teaching, and what it’s like to work as an early-music star in a modern world.
Where are you from originally, and what was your early musical and vocal training?
I come from a suburb of Detroit, which is actually completely nondescript. I went to Oakland University in Rochester, Michigan, and they had an early-music program, which was very rare in those days, and still is. I joined up because it sounded like fun and I got completely sucked into the scene as an instrumentalist. I played recorder, if you can imagine that. ..
Visit San Francisco Classical Voice online for the complete interview.
More articles in category Early Music Concerts 2009-2010
- (IT) Magnificat On The Eight Tones (8 Oct. 2010) (by harmoniamusicae on Sep 05, 2010)
- (DE) Stockstädter Musiktage (Stocktadt Recorder Exhibition/Festival) (14-16 May 2010) -- Photos/Videos on YouTube (by Admin on Jun 29, 2010)
- (CH) Fifth Edition of the Harmoniques International Congress in Lausanne «Chopin et son temps» (9-12 Sept. 2010) (by Admin on Jun 23, 2010)
- (DE) Bach-Wettbewerb Leipzig 2010 (Bach Competition in Leipzig) (7-17 July 2010) (by Admin on Jun 20, 2010)
- (TR) Magdalena Consort Concert at the International Istanbul Festivals (24 June 2010) (by Admin on Jun 20, 2010)