News 2011: (UK) British Library: "Royal Manuscripts: The Genius of Illumination" (11 nov 2011-13 mar 2012)
(* reposted -- ed.)“Royal Manuscripts: The Genius of Illumination is the British Library’s first major exhibition to bring together the Library’s Royal collection, a treasure trove of illuminated manuscripts collected by the kings and queens of England between the 9th and 16th centuries. This dazzling exhibition will debunk the myth that these were ‘the Dark Ages’ by showcasing beautiful artistic artefacts.
Curated by Dr Scot McKendrick, Head of History and Classical Studies, British Library; Professor John Lowden, Courtauld Institute of Art, University of London, and Dr Kathleen Doyle, Curator of Illuminated Manuscripts, British Library, the exhibition features stunning manuscripts that are among the most outstanding examples of royal decorative and figurative painting from this era surviving in Britain today, their colours often as vibrant as when they were first painted.
However, the manuscripts do much more than declare the artistry of their makers; the luxurious objects unlock the secrets of the private lives and public personae of the royals throughout the Middle Ages and provide the most vivid surviving source for understanding royal identity. As well as providing clear instruction on appropriate regal behaviour they also give a direct insight into royal moral codes and religious belief and shed light on the politics of the day. …”
More articles in category News 2011
- (US) Harmonia Early Music: "Dancing In The Court Of The Sun King" By Laura Osterlund (18 December 2011) (by Admin on Jan 09, 2012)
- (UK) Handel House - Looking Back on 2011 (by Admin on Jan 01, 2012)
- (BE) Capilla Flamenca Newsletter (19 Dec 2011) (by Admin on Dec 30, 2011)
- (US) Harmonia Early Music: "Seasonal Settings And Angelic Appearances" By Laura Osterlund (19 December 2011) (by Admin on Dec 30, 2011)
- (CA) Arion Orchestre Baroque Wishes of Christmas (by Admin on Dec 24, 2011)