Reviews 2010-2011: (UK) Opera Today Review: "Saul, Barbican Hall" by Robert Hugill (25 Nov 2011)
“Handel’s oratorio Saul was the first dramatic oratorio that he wrote with a strong libretto.
Charles Jennens compilation, based on biblical sources, created a powerful structure which enabled Handel to create a work which became the first of his English music dramas.
The work was performed at the Barbican on Tuesday 21st November by The Sixteen under conductor Harry Christophers, in a concert performance which brought out the essential drama of the piece. …”
Visit the Opera Today website to read the full review.
More articles in category Reviews 2010-2011
- (US) Opera Today Review: "Wilhelm Friedemann Bach Cantatas" by Steven Plank (22 dec 2011) (by Admin on Feb 12, 2012)
- (US) Opera Today DVD Review: "Wilhelm Friedemann Bach Cantatas" (Reviewed by: Steven Plank) (22 Dec 2011) (by Admin on Dec 29, 2011)
- (UK) Opera Today Review: François Couperin by Florilegium, Wigmore Hall by Claire Seymour (28 Nov 2011) (by Admin on Dec 15, 2011)
- (US) Opera Today Review: "Xerxes in San Francisco" by Michael Milenski (25 Nov 2011) (by Admin on Dec 08, 2011)
- (US) San Francisco Classical Voice Review: "Chalice Consort: Grant Them Rest" By Anna Carol Dudley (06 nov 2011) (by Admin on Nov 16, 2011)