Books/Manuscript: (US) Oxford Univeristy Press: "Music February 2012 Newsletter"
You may be interested in some of the newest releases as Oxford Press. Of note:
The Castrato and His Wife, Helen Berry
“The opera singer Giusto Ferdinando Tenducci was one of the most famous celebrities of the eighteenth century. Mozart and Bach both composed for him. He was nothing less than a rock star of his day, with a massive female following. He was also a castrato.
Ranging from the salons of princes and the grand opera houses of Europe to the remote hill towns of Tuscany, Helen Berry's compelling account of the unconventional love story of the castrato and his wife offers fascinating insight into the world of opera and the history of sex and marriage in Georgian Britain. Berry vividly describes how women flocked to Tenducci's concerts and found him irresistible. Indeed, his young singing pupil, Dorothea Maunsell, found him so irresistible that she eloped with him. A huge scandal erupted and her father persecuted them mercilessly.”
More titles below …
Crossing Confessional BoundariesThe Patronage of Italian Sacred Music in Seventeenth-Century Dresden Mary E. Frandsen
“Shortly after assuming the Saxon throne in 1656, Lutheran Elector Johann Georg II (r. 1656-80) replaced the elder Kapellmeister Heinrich Schutz with younger Italian Catholic composers. Seemingly overnight, sacred music in the most modern Italian style, first by Vincenzo Albrici (1631-90/96) and later by Giuseppe Peranda (ca. 1625-75) supplanted the more traditional Schutzian sacred concerto and Spruchmotette, effecting a change in musical and spiritual life both within the walls of the Dresden court and beyond.
Drawing on extensive research in primary source materials, Frandsen explores the elector's "Italianization" of the Hofkapelle with castrati and other Italian virtuosi, and examines the larger confessional conflict that gripped the city of Dresden and its implications for the Catholic-leaning elector's musical agenda. …”
Visit the Oxford Univeristy Press: "Music February 2012 Newsletter" web page for more information.
More articles in category Books/Manuscript
- (UK) Cambridge University Press New Release: "The History of the Erard Piano and Harp in Letters and Documents, 1785–1959 - 2 Volume Set" (July 2015) (by admin on Jul 28, 2015)
- (DE) Tree Edition Lute Manuscripts Releases (by admin on Jul 13, 2015)
- (UK) DanceBooks.co.uk New Arrivals: Early Dance DVD's (by admin on Jul 02, 2015)
- (IT) Libreria Musicale Italiana (LIM) Release: Francesco Antonio Pistocchi Scherzi musicali [op. II] - Duetti e terzetti, op. III Edizione critica (by admin on Jun 27, 2015)
- (ES) Spanish Ministry of Culture Prize Award: "The Golden Age of violin making in Spain" (Jorge Pozas) (by admin on Jun 20, 2015)