"The main objective of the Society is the promotion of understanding in the theory and practice of European dance from the 12th to the 19th century as recorded in the contemporary literature.
The policy of the committee is to achieve this by:
* Conducting and promoting original research into treatises on dancing and other references in the literature, drama and dance music of the various periods.
* The organisation of courses for the education of dancers, teachers, actors, musicians and the general public in historical dance.
* Holding meetings and conferences in which lectures, demonstrations and opportunities to participate in historical dances and their music will be given to members of the Society and others.
* Publishing articles conducive or incidental to the aims of the Society in a Society Journal and any other medium which will bring the information to the attention of scholars in related disciplines and other persons concerned with the performance and teaching of historical dances and their music.
* Developing good practice for teachers and instructors in order to promote skills, understanding and enjoyment of the dances, while incorporating current research.
* Giving and promoting historically informed dance demonstrations with music on the contemporary instruments.
* Fostering the growth of other organisations with similar aims in this country and abroad. "
Visit website for more information. (ed.)
Category: Early Dance
Added on: Sep 06, 2008 | Hits: 629